背景：现如今，人工智能越来越火。《The Economist》专门发表了一篇有关人工智能企业间竞争的题为《Battle of the brains》的文章。今天选取的是其中一段对于机器学习的介绍。
Machine learning is the branch of AI that is most relevant to these firms. Computers sift through data to recognise patterns and make predictions without being explicitly programmed to do so. The technique is now used in all manner of applications in the tech industry, including online ad targeting, product recommendations, augmented reality and self-driving cars. Zoubin Ghahramani, who leads AI research at Uber, believes that AI will be as transformative as the rise of computers.
1.Machine learningis the branch ofAIthat is most relevant to these firms.
(1) the anti-terrorist branch反恐部门
(2) a branch of the Rhine莱茵河的支流
(1)近义词：apropos; germane; relative; pertinent
(2)反义词：extraneous; impertinent; irrelative; irrelevant
2. Computerssift through datatorecognise patternsandmake predictionswithout being explicitly programmed to do so.
(1)sift throughthe wreckage of the aircraft仔细检查飞机残骸
(2)sift outthe applications that have no chance of winning剔除那些成功无望的申请
近义词：clear-cut; definite; definitive; unambiguous; unequivocal; univocal
3. The technique is now used inall manner ofapplications in thetech industry, includingonline ad targeting, product recommendations,augmented realityandself-driving cars.
(1) in a manner of speaking不妨说；从某种意义上说
(2) in the manner of以某人/物的典型风格a painting in the manner of Raphael拉斐尔风格的绘画
(3) (as/as if) to the manner born仿佛天生的；生来就习惯的
(4) what manner of … ( = what kind of )什么样的…
4. Zoubin Ghahramani, who leads AI research at Uber, believes that AI will be as transformative asthe rise ofcomputers.
(1) undergo a complete transformation经历了彻底的变革